Immigrant Visas For Family Members

Attorney Joe Adams has assisted hundreds of people to reunite with their families in the United States. Under U.S. law, family members are eligible to immigrate in the following situations:

Spouses, parents and children of U.S. citizens are given preference over all other relationships.

  • Once U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) approves your petition proving that the relationship is valid, your relative will be able to join you after obtaining an immigrant visa at the U.S. consulate abroad or in the U.S., in some cases.
  • Sometimes, the USCIS takes an inordinately long time to review and approve a petition. Previously, spouses and children would be forced to wait for several months for approval. Congress came up with the K-3 and K-4 visa categories that allow spouses and their children to enter the U.S. and wait in the U.S. until their petitions are approved.
  • Partners in same-sex marriages are covered by the same laws and regulations in effect for all marriages.

Spouses and children of legal permanent residents follow the same procedure as those of U.S. citizens to prove that the relationship is valid. However, they do have to wait longer to come to the U.S. after the USCIS approves their petitions. We can assist you through this process. Please call us at 800-448-5383 to arrange a consultation.

Fiancé(e)s of a U.S. citizen and his or her children who are under 21 and are not married can come to the U.S. as soon as their petitions are approved in a conditional status known as K-1 and K-2.

Siblings of U.S. citizens have one of the longest waits to enter the U.S., after their petitions are approved, sometimes 12 to 15 years.

Adult children of U.S. citizens also have a long wait time after their petitions are approved and are at risk of losing their place in line if they marry while waiting to immigrate.

Nonimmigrant Visas For Family Members

Sometimes, one spouse is in the U.S. for work on a nonimmigrant visa such as an H-1B, O-1 or L-1. Since many of these visas authorize someone to stay in the U.S. for extended periods of time, the laws may allow certain visa holders to bring along spouses and children. Usually, the children may attend school in the U.S., subject to certain rules, and the spouse may or may not be authorized to work in the U.S.


U.S. citizenship and nationality law is extremely complex and requires the assistance of an experienced immigration lawyer. Even cases that might seem straightforward can hide traps for the unwary.

If you are a permanent resident contemplating leaving the U.S. for an extended period of time or going to certain countries, we strongly encourage you to meet with a lawyer before making any travel arrangements. Traveling abroad might affect your ability to become a U.S. citizen.

Contact Our Los Angeles Family Immigration Lawyer

Hiring an experienced immigration attorney will protect you. It can help prevent unnecessary delay at the consulate and upon entering the country. We have an office located on Sunset Boulevard in Los Angeles. To schedule an appointment with us, please call us at 800-448-5383 or contact us by email.